Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No 17
Chapel Street is one of the streets in Marrickvill that has undergone initial subdivision as subsequent development and transformation into an industrial area. An orchard is shown on the 1875 Plan of Villa Sites along with a Public School that no longer exists. The Public School along with Thompson's Hotel (Now the Henson) is shown on the 1883 Beer's Estate. Much of the land between Victoria Street and Fitzroy Street was flood prone leading to the area changing from residential land to industrial.
1875 Plan showing Villa Sites and an Orchard.
Cripp's Estate of 1882
Beer's Estate 1883
1889 Victoria Road Subdivision.
1888 Arscot Estate. All the residential lots are now industrial.
Even after the disasterous floods of 1889, lots were still being offered in the flood prone part of Chapel Street.
No 134 is a semi-detached Federation house with some adaptive use of leadlight in two hopper panels as a veranda enclosure.