Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 26 & 32.
Hugh Avenue was created as part of the Abergeldie Estate in 1928. Hugh Avenue, like much of the Abergeldie Estate, can roughly be divided into two periods, the early 1928 and 1929 houses are more like the traditional Californian bungalow design while those built after the depression years from 1933 - 1937 are homes that a greater variety of influences including Art Deco, Moderne, Neo Georgian and English Norman.
Hugh Avenue is a wonderful repository of Art Deco leadlight because many of the bungalows built in the late 1920’s and 1930’s have been remarkably well preserved. The Development Control Plan No 17 that describes the Abergeldie Estate Heritage Conservation Area as being significant for a number of reasons, one of which is the ‘leadlights’ which are representative of the fashion at the time. And they are amazing. A walk down Hugh Avenue (and all the Abergeldie Estate) is very rewarding because so much of the original Art Deco leadlight is intact. Some of the houses have a complete ensemble of leadlight in the entrance door/s, verandah doors and sidelights, casement windows, angled bay windows and a variety of small windows. In some cases it is possible to gain a glimpse inside and many of the houses appear to have leadlight in internal doors.
No 1 is an Interwar bungalow (c.1936 & part of the Abergeldie Estate) with leadlight in a small window, a three panel double hung angled bay window, the front door panels and Veranda door and sidelights. The large bevelled glass shield shape appears frequently in Art Deco Leadlight and in these panels it sits beautifully with the elements that radiate from it.