Main Period: Victorian – Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 1, 4, 7, 16, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 34, 37
Farleigh House was originally built on the corner of Clissold and Queen Street. When subdivided in 1891 the Farleigh Estate consisted of Farleigh Street, together with adjacent lots in Holden Street (previously Ashfield Road) and Queen Street . The last of the Farleigh Estate was subdivided in 1911. Farleigh Street is a small, quiet, tree lined street that runs between Clissold and Seaview Streets. The oldest house in the street is No 5 and it was built in 1883. There are two storey terrace houses and other houses built in the 1880-90’s. The southern end of the street has a number of well preserved and maintained Californian Bungalows. While the majority of the houses were evidently built in the Federation and Inter-War periods (that is, from about the 1890s to the 1930s), there are a few Victorian period examples, as well as some from the post-World-War-II period.There are some excellent examples of Federation and Interwar Leadlight in Farleigh Street.
No 1 is a Californian Bungalow. It has a magnificent six panel casement square bay window with tops. The design is beautifully subtle. Most of the leadlight us tessellating rectangles and there are just one, or two, small squares of an aqua blue glass at the bottom of the casements and in the tops there is an added square of opaque pink. The verandah door and sidelight have heavily textured glass but use a different design that uses the pink and blue glass. Very subtle and very elegant.