Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No's 51, 55, 77, 83, 85, 88, 95, 99, 112, 134 & 138.
Ewart Street was initially a relatively short street that ran between Garnet Street and what was then Chamberlain Street (now and extension of Ness Avenue.) Over time Ewart Street was extended. Terrace Road was renamed Ewart Street and extends all the way across Wardell Road to Beauchamp Street in Marrickville. Ewart Street was the northern boundary of the Gladstone Hall Estate owned by Robert Starkey. The estate was broken up in 1907 but Gladstone Hall survived and still remains crowded in by town house development.
Gladstone Hall as it is now.
No 51 is an Interwar block of flats with some wonderful leadlight in the two double doors at the front of the premises. There is a little bit of damage but it’s just spectacular and should be repaired. The design is a very strong radiant pattern in the upper half of the doors. Very Art Deco.