A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 1,2,3 & 4
Alexandra Street is part of the Lucy Street Heritage Conservation Area. The land in this vicinity was part of the Ashfield Park Estate, which incorporated a grant made in 1810 to Augustus Alt. Land in the area was initially subdivided in 1877 but while the subdivision was called ‘Alexandra Crescents’ Alexandra Street was not there then. Alexandra Street gets its name from the Alexandra Crescents Subdivision of 1877 (see plan on the right , followed by further subdivisions in 1878, 1880 and later. It wasn't until the 1880 Subdivision that Lucy Street was actually created.
There are very few houses in Alexandra Street and they are all twinned, semi- detached dwellings in the Californian Bungalow style. It is a very quiet street terminating at Iron Cove Creek.
No’s 1 & 2 are Interwar semi’s. Each has a three panel casement window on the front verandah. Each of the panels has two large intersecting ovals with green and yellow glass on the edge and a vertical drop in the center. The three panels are connected with a bar of textured glass. Each of the panels is divided by a sash bar running horizontally through the middle. These windows really stand out from the street and are quite beautiful